11 Days Simien Mountains Trekking – Best Hiking in Ethiopia
Simien Mountains Trekking 11 Days will take you to the most dramatic scenery along with the north escarpment ranges from 1000 – 1500m which stretched from the highland of Simien mountain to the lowlands creates a wonderful view. On the way of the trek, you will see the endemic Chelada Baboon and the wild goat Walia Ibex. You will have a great experience in your Ethiopia Simien Mountains Trekking 11 Days tour.
Simien mountains national park trekking, hiking the highest mountain in Ethiopia, Ras Dashen
The Simien Mountains National Park was declared in 1969, and the entire range was included in UNESCO World Heritage list in 1979.
Simien Mountain Trekking 11 Days tour doubtfully you will encounter enjoy the most impressive mountain range in Ethiopia; Ras Dashen (or Ras Dejen) one of the highest mountain in Africa the highest peak is about (4550m).
A 5 days Simien mountains national park trekking program with locals.
Day 1: Arrive Addis Ababa and Sightseeing
• On arrival, our representative will meet you and get transferred to the hotel.
After refreshment, city tour of Addis Ababa. Overnight in Hotel.
Day 2: Fly to Gondar for your Simien Mountain Trekking 11 Days hike , then drive to Sankaber.
• The morning after BB transfers to airport for flight to Gondar.
Upon arrival drive to Debark town (100 Km from Gondar), and proceed to the headquarter of Simien Mountains National Park is found. After processing entrance fees then drive to Sankaber (31 Kms) the first campsite of the National Park.
• This day you will admire the beauty of this highland region, the extraordinary scenery, enjoy the endemic mammal Gelada Baboons and the bone breaker giant bird Lammergeyer. Camping at Sankaber. – (3200 m)
Day 3: Trek Sankaber to Geech Camp Site (5 – 6hrs)
• Today we arrange all the trekking staff with mules and Muleteers for packing and transport of camping gears and all foodstuffs for the trek. It is this day that we start trekking in the national park. We walk from Sankaber to Geech, which will take between 5 – 6 hours. After about 1 and half hours walk we see the Jinbar River and falls, we will cross the river later in the day. After crossing the river, we ascend for about two hours to Geech, which is full of Giant Lobelias. Camping
Day 4: Trek Geech – Imetegogo – Geech.
• This day we will be walking to the best viewpoints in the National park. First, we walk to Imetgogo, the view here enables one to look 360 to all directions this is one of the best views in the national park. After a short stay here continue to walk to Seha, the other terrific viewpoint in the National park. We will have our picnic lunch and we continue to the last viewpoint, Que-dadit.
• After some stay, we walk back to Geech camp site. The walk this day is not hard; it takes about 4 – 5 hours. It is the day that we will be walking in the best part of the national park. If we are lucky we might have the chance to see mammals like the Simien wolf, Walia Ibex and Klipspringers’. O/n camping at Geech Campsite – (3600m).
Day 5: Trek to Chenek.
• We trek to Chenek, we will be walking through the Giant lobelia trees and under these trees, and African field Rats are common. After picnic lunch we walk on the edge of Elate escarpments (4000m. above sea level), which is another breathtaking view of the national park; finally, we descend to Chenek.
• Chenek is the best place to see the endemic Walia Ibex and more Gelada Baboon. It takes (~6-7 hours walk). O/n Camping at Chenek. – (3600m)
Day 6: Trek Chenek- Bwahit Ras- Ambiquo (~10hrs Trek)
• Today is the longest trekking day so far, taking up to about 10 hours. From Chenek at 3650 metres, the path to Ambiquo campsite crosses over the Bwahit Ras. Leaving Chenek we are faced with a two-hour ascent to the top of the pass at 4200 metres, where we enjoy views that open up to the east over Mesheha Valley to the Dashen mountain range. Looking back we find ourselves under the cover of the impressive rock formations of Imet Gogo.
• From Bwahit Ras, the path leads steeply down and across the Mesheha Valley. Here we notice an increase in temperature as we descend down to the Mesheha River at 2800 metres, before climbing slightly to reach Ambiquo campsite at an altitude of 3100 metres. Overnight camping at Ambiquo.
Day 7: Trek Ambiquo- Ras Dashen Summit – Ambiquo the longest day (~10-11hrs) trek
• Today is a summit day involving a trek of 16 kilometers (ten to eleven hours)! So we leave from our campsite around 4: 00 AM morning the path winds its way over eight kilometers and ascends up 1400 meters to Ras Dashen. It begins by climbing steeply through barley fields and fallow land before clearing the vegetation zone and reaching mountain steppe, at around 3700 metres.
• From there it flattens out, as it traverses ridges in the shadow of Ras Dashen. Just below Dashen Pass at around 4250 meters, an impressive moraine can be seen. A moraine consists of material transported by a glacier and before being deposited. This moraine was formed 20,000 to 14,000 years ago in the last Ice Age when the Simien Mountaintops had small ice caps. The final stretch to the summit involves an exciting climb and scramble up and over large boulders, before reaching the summit. From the top of Ras Dashen at an altitude of 4543 metres, we are sure to be mesmerized by the far ranging views which span more than 10,000 square kilometers. To the west the steep faces of peaks in the national park are visible, whilst the Tekeze Valley is visible to the north and the east. Returning from the summit we retrace our steps along the same path back to our camp at Ambiquo. Camping
Day 8: Trek Ambiquo to Arkwaziye (~7-8 hrs)
• From Ambiquo, the path takes us back down to the Mesheha River (2800 metres) to our today’s destination Arkwaziye, situated at an altitude of 3600 meters above sea level and located on the northern reach of the Mesheha (Went) River. The camp at Arkwaziye is one of the beautiful campsite located with a stunning view of the mountains. Camping at Arkwaziye
Day 9: Trek back to Chenek for (~5 hrs)
• Final trekking day in the sensational Simien Mountains. From Arkwaziye, we return back to Chenek camp to overnight. We complete a loop by following the path until we reach its junction with the earlier main path at Bwahit Pass.
• Descend down to Chenek or take a detour and enjoy a summit circuit of Bwahit (4430m). The trekkers who summit Bwahit will be rewarded with spectacular views.
• Here around Chenek is one of the best spots to see the endemic Walia ibex; is a mountain goat which lives on the steep slopes and grassy ledges of the escarpment and the most endangered mammals in the world. Todays night in Camping at Chenek is the end of the Simien Mountain Trekking 11 Days inside the park.
Day 10: Drive back Chenek to Gondar.
• Morning drive along the dirt road that runs from Chenek to Sankaber, leave Simien Mountains National Park to continue back to Debark (2-3 Hrs) and we finalize our stay at SMNP.
• Continue driving some 100 km back to Gondar, check into the hotel to get some rest. The afternoon is at leisure or optional sightseeing. Overnight in Hotel.
Day 11: Completed Simien Mountain Trekking 11 Days and fly back to Addis Ababa.
Get transferred to Gondar airport for a fly back to Addis Ababa. Upon time free shopping time and evening a farewell dinner at a traditional restaurant with folkloric dance. Departure.
……..End of the Simien Mountains Trekking 11 Days tour arrangement …….