Gena Festival Tour 13 Days
Gena Festival Tour 13 Days
Traveling to Ethiopia to attend Christmas Ethiopia and Christmas in Ethiopia
Tour starts (January 06 in some years it starts on January 07)
It is one of the major religious celebrations in Ethiopia. Unlike many of the Christian countries in the world, it is celebrated in Ethiopia January 7. Although it is celebrated everywhere by Christians, the most colorful are observed in Lalibela because both the birth of Jesus Christ and St. Lalibela is commemorated.
Christmas festival in Ethiopia is among the highly celebrated Ethiopian festivals by Ethiopian Christians.
On this Gena Festival Tour 13 Days program, you will have three days stay at Lalibela to attend the Gena festival starting from the eve. Also on your stay in Lalibela, you will visit all the rock-hewn churches of the 12th century.
On the remaining days of the program, you will cover the most known historic cities with visiting the attractions. In Axum visit, the standing steals, archeological sites, and ruins of the palace of Queen of Sheba, ruins Yeah temple and the tomb of Kaleb.
On a daily trip to Mekele, you will visit the rock churches and the stunning mountain chains and rock churches inside the mountains of Gerhalta.
Your visit also includes an excursion to Simien Mountain National park for the endemic faunas and floras. The 17th-century castles and palaces of Gondar and the 14th century Lake Tana island monasteries well known for their old age wall painting and murals are among the visits before the end of the program.
Let us plan your Ethiopia vacation in a way to attend Ethiopian festivals and holidays .
Day1: Arrival in Addis Ababa.
• On arrival meet and greet by our representative.
• Have city tours of Addis (Museums, churches & Market). Overnight in a hotel.
Day 2: Fly Addis to Lalibela to attend Gena Festival Tour 13 Days
• Morning flight to Lalibela and Full day
• Visit of the first and second groups of Lalibela churches.
• Evening attends the special celebration of Emanuel at Bere Emanuel. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 3: Attend Eve Festival Lalibela
• Morning Excursion tour to visit of Asheton Mariam church
• Afternoon visit of Naruto Leab church evening attend the Christmas Eve ceremony at Bete Mariam church and there will be a candlelight ceremony to commemorate the birth of Jesus Christ. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 4: Final Gena Festival celebration in Lalibela
• Morning drives to Bete Mariam to participate and witness the final ceremony of Ethiopian Christmas.
• This day you will see the beautiful event by priestess lined up on the cliff edge of Bete Mariam to commemorate using big church drums. Overnight in a hotel
Day 5: Drive Lalibela to Mekele
• Morning drives to the town of Mekele, with beautiful landscape. Overnight in a hotel
Day 6: Full day Visit Mekele rock churches (Geraltha)-Hawzen
• Morning, some km to visit the Gerhalta Mountain churches and then proceed to the town Hawzen for the night. Overnight in Lodge
Day 7: Drive Hawzain to Axum
• Morning drives to the town of Axum
• En route visit the pre- Axumite Temple of Yeha and the monastery DebreDam.
• Also, visit some of the other oldest Tigray churches. Overnight in a hotel
Day 8: Full day Axum sightseeing
• Sightseeing of the ancient town of Axum stele fields, St. Tsion Church and the tomb of Ezana. Overnight in a hotel
Day 9: Drive Axum to Simien Mountain
Morning, drive Axum to Semien Park through beautiful landscape in between the Tigray and Amhara farmers. Overnight in a Lodge/Hotel
Day 10: Full days Simien Mountain Excursion
• Today you will have a full day excursion tour inside the park to spot endemic animals and plants. Overnight in a Lodge/hotel.
Day 11: Drive Simien Mountain to Gondar
• Drive to the city of Gondar
• On arrival check in to hotel and preparation for the city tour. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 12: Drive Gondar to Bahir dar
• Morning drives to Bahir Dar.
• Excursion drives to visit the Blue Nile waterfalls.
• Afternoon boat trip on Lake Tana to visit the island old aged monasteries. Overnight, in a hotel, Lodge or Resort.
Day 13: Fly Bahir dar to Addis Ababa after attending the Gena Festival Tour 13 Days
• Morning flight to Addis, shopping at souvenir shops.
• Evening farewell dinner party in one of the traditional restaurants with folkloric dance. Departure.
………..End of the Gena Festival Tour 13 Days tour arrangement…………
FAQS: when is Ethiopian Christmas?
Ethiopian Christmas or Gena festival is one of the major religious celebrations in Ethiopian Orthodox Church. The celebration day is on Jan 7, it is very colorful in Lalibela.