Birding Tour 8 Days – Ethiopia Bird Watching Tours and Holidays to Endemic Bird Destinations
Ethiopia becoming increasingly popular with birders worldwide. More than 900 bird species have been identified in Ethiopia, 15 of which are endemic to Ethiopia. 596 of the bird species dwell in Ethiopia, which more than 240 are migratory birds. There are about 69 important bird destinations in the country. The Abijata and Shalla National park, Awash, Nech Sar national park and Bale mountains are some of the best spots for birders.
Best and Cheap Ethiopia Birding tour led by experienced Birding Guides to spot the most common moreover, endemic ones.
This Ethiopia Birding Tour 8 Days starts from Addis Ababa, through going further to the major birding destinations of the country mentioned above. These means on this ornithological tour you will see the most of the endemic bird species guided by birding experts.
Book your optional at 4 days short bird watching tours Ethiopia
Day 1: Arrive at Addis Ababa.
- Afternoon, drive to Gefersa reservoir some 20 km to have a birding tour.
- See the endemic birds: Blue-winged Goose, Rouget’s Rail, Black-headed Siskin, White-collared Pigeon, Wattled Ibis and Abyssinian Longclaw.
- There are also some Pale arctic migrants this area from October to the mid of April. Among this The Ortolan Bunting, Three-banded Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Yellow Bishop, and Marsh Harrier. Then drive back to Addis for overnight. Overnight in hotel.
Day 2: Drive to Debre Libanose to start your Ethiopia Birding Tour 8 Days
- Morning, drive to Debra Libanose Monastery about 110 km via the Sululta plains.
- Shortstop after 20 km for few birds like the Black-winged Plover, Red-breasted Wheatear, Tawny Eagle, Pectoral-patched Cist cola and some others.
- Some distance away there is a gorge there to see a few endemics like the White-billed Starling, Abyssinian Woodpecker, Black-headed Forest Oriole, Ruppell’s and White-winged Cliff Chats. Here we expect to see Lammergeyer, Verreaux’s eagle, Egyptian and White-backed Vultures, Lanner Falcon. After all, drive back to Addis the night. Overnight in hotel.
Day 3: Morning Drive to Ziway- Wendo Genet- Lake Langano
- The first stop would be at Cheleklaka wetland near Debra Zeit some 45 km east of Addis Ababa Here you will see The White-backed and Knob-billed Ducks, African Spoonbills, Avocets, Pintails, Grebes, and Widgeon .
- Then proceed to Ziway via Koka Dam with short roadside stops for different woodland birds. Around here you will see the African Pygmy-goose, Malachite and Pied Kingfisher, Lesser Jacana, Black Heron, different Terns, Pelican, Grey-headed and Lesser Black-backed Gull, African Fish-eagle, Black Crake, Allen’s Gallinule and a number of other species.
- At Wondo Genet sees the acacia woodland area for the Cardinal and Bearded Woodpecker, Brubru, Red- faced Crombec and Red-billed Hornbill. Overnight in hotel/ lodge
Day 4: Birding at Wendo Genet
- Morning drive for birding in the Wondo Genet forest, which is a home to the endemic Banded Barbet, Yellow-fronted Parrot, Narnia Trogon, Abyssinian woodpecker, Half-collared Kingfisher, White-cheeked Tura co, Mountain Wagtail, Lesser and Scaly-throated Honeyguide, Red-billed Starling, African Little Sparrowhawk, Ayres’s Hawk Eagle, Crowned Eagle, Sharpe’s Starling, Lemon Dove, Double-toothed Barbet, Emerald Cuckoo-shrike, Abyssinian Ground Thrush, Scaly Francolin, Broad-billed Roller, Saw-wing and Lesser Striped Swallows . Overnight in hotel.
Day 5: Drive to Bale Mountain National Park – Back to Goba
- Morning, drive some 220 km to the Bale Mountains Park via Goba a great spot for ornithologists .
- Here you will see among the many endemic birds like Spot-breasted Plover, Black-winged Lovebird, Thick-billed Raven, White-backed Black Tit and the beautiful Abyssinian Catbird. The Bale Mountains are also home to different mammals like the beautiful Ethiopia Wolf, Mountain Nyala, Menelik’s Bushbuck, Warthog, Bohor Reedbuck and Klipspringer.
- Inside the park, you will see the Chestnut-napped Francolin, Roget’s Rail, Abyssinian Longclaw, Stonechat, Baglafecht Weavers and Mountain buzzards in the air. Overnight in hotel Goba
Day 6: Bale Mountains NP full day Birding Tour
- You will spend your most of the time on the Sanattie plateau and in the forest near Goba. The Red-breasted Sparrowhawk, Crowned Eagle, Verreaux’s Eagle, Golden Eagle, Lammergeyer and Steppe Eagle are among the birds of prey we may see. Here we expect to see the beautiful Watt led Crane, Moorland Francolin, Ruddy She duck, Malachite Sunbird, and African Snipe. Overnight in hotel
Day 7: Ornithological drive from Goba- Awassa
- Morning drives to Awassa and will have an afternoon birding at Lake Awassa.
- Lake Awassa is the smallest and will lowest lake in the Ethiopian rift system with a great variety of bird species among them Banded Snake-Eagle, Grey Kestrel, Giant Kingfisher, Purple Swamphen, Allen’s Gallinule, Lesser Jacana, Saddle-billed Stork, Purple and Goliath Herons, Sulpher-breasted Bush Shrike, Black-headed Batis, Violet-backed Starling, Bruce’s Green Pigeon, African Pygmy-Kingfisher, Red-breasted Wryneck, Great spotted Eagle, Spotted Creeper, Greenshank, Wood Sandpiper, Marsh Sandpiper, Grey Kingfisher, Blue-headed Coucal, Klaus’s and Dietrich Cuckoos are among the varieties of bird species we may see. . Overnight in hotel
Day 8: Drive back to Addis after completing your Ethiopia Birding Tour 8 Days.
- On the way stop at the rift valley lakes of Abijata-Willa lakes NP. Inside the park we expect to see the Bare-faced Go-away-bird, Von deer Dickens’s Hornbill, Abyssinian Ground Hornbill, Rattling and Boron Cist colas, Rufus-crowned Roller, Lilac-breasted Roller, Black Wood-hoopoe, Black-billed Wood-hoopoe, Cardinal and Bearded Woodpeckers, Fawn-coloured Lark, Yellow-vented Ere more la, Red-faced Crombec, Marico and Beautiful Sunbirds and Black-crowned Tchagra.
- Then continue driving to Addis with the short stop at Hora Crater Lake in Debra Zeit. Overnight in hotel. Evening Departure
……………end of the Birding Tour 8 Days arrangement………